BALTIMORE (February 24, 2010) – For enthusiasts of contemporary and traditional handcraft, Kentucky beckons: Readers of AmericanStyle magazine have ranked Kentucky Crafted: The Market as the best arts festival in the nation, in an announcement released just days before the show’s scheduled opening in Louisville.
Two additional arts events in Kentucky placed in the 2010 Top 10 list based on results of the magazine’s sixth annual Fairs & Festivals readers’ poll: St. James Court Art Show, also in Louisville, Ky., earned second place. Francisco’s Farm Arts Festival at Midway College, in Midway, Ky., earned fifth place.
The first-place winner, Kentucky Crafted: The Market, will showcase more than 200 local and regional artisans March 6-7, 2010, at the Kentucky Exposition Center. Featuring both contemporary and traditional handcraft, the show is produced by the Kentucky Arts Council, and is considered an engine of the creative economy in the state. Since 1981, the show has been promoting and developing the arts as a business. Trade days are scheduled March 4-5, allowing galleries and retailers from luxury gift shops to select works to stock their shelves.
Here is the complete winners list:
- Kentucky Crafted: The Market, Louisville, Ky.
- St. James Court Art Show, Louisville, Ky.
- Paradise City Arts Festival, Northampton, Mass.
- Scottsdale Arts Festival, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Francisco’s Farm Arts Festival at Midway College, Midway, Ky.
- Kentuck Festival of the Arts, Northport, Ala.
- Bayou City Art Festival, Houston, Texas
- The American Craft Council Show in Baltimore, Baltimore, Md.
- League of NH Craftsmen’s Fair, Newbury, N.H.
- Des Moines Arts Festival, Des Moines, Iowa